Monday, September 8, 2008

When I was 18....



(Disclaimer: I also got this idea from a blog I saw, but I don't remember from whose.)

So everyone always says to live with no regrets, but is that even possible? Huge regrets, yeah, maybe that's possible, but things I wish I'd done differently? I could make a massive list for each year of my teenage and adult life, but right now I will just make a short one for one year of my life.

If my 30 year old self could go back in time and tell my 18 year old self a few things then here are a few of the things I would say:

*Spend more time with your parents, they won't be around forever and they really aren't so bad. ;)
*Your parents are absolutely right about sooooo many things!
*When you break up with a certain fellow....STAY THAT WAY!!!
*Go back to EAC for another semester, at least.
*When you go to EAC, cool it with Taco Bell, ok?
*Kiss a few more boys. Not a lot...but just a few. ;)
*Save your money!!!!!
*Do NOT let anyone talk you into a credit card.
*When you break up with a certain fellow AGAIN, STAY THAT WAY!!!!!
*Sing even more.
*Your fish will live
*Don't be so gosh, darn dramatic.
*Prozac...maybe...just an idea.

I'm sure I will think of some more things to tell myself as soon as I'm done here.
I guess we can't go back in time for a reason.
Would I have even listened? According to my track record as an eighteen year old...probably not.
I guess that's why Heavenly Father gives us other people...so our 30 year old selves don't have to come back and tell us what to do.
It's better to learn from others mistakes anyway...if we can.

I really am grateful for the GREAT "other people" in my life. If not for them, maybe my list of advice would have been much longer and more serious.

10 comments:

jamie said...

hmmm...that's interesting. definitely gets you thinking. sorry that guy gave you so much grief. wink, wink.

Koi said...

If you did go back to EA for another semester would you have met GUS? Would you have been there at the same time? You could have ended up with someone else and that's scary to think about. Everything that you've done in the past is what has brought you to where you are right now, and I'm so glad it worked out this way because I know you!

Laurie said...

Koi,
I went in the fall of '96. I think Gus was there the following fall. But chances are I would have stayed even longer if I would have gone for the winter/spring semester too.

Megan Bruschke said...

Yea, if only I knew then what I knew now! And if only I knew now, what I will know in another 10 years - life would be so much more simple!

Kathy P said...

I know the truth. I grew up with you. Yeah, your fish lived, thank goodness. We couldn't have handled it otherwise. But there are some things about your 18 year old life you missed. Like:
Being the one who was never afraid to help your parents, even when they were getting old and smelly. or having such a solid tesimony of the Savior that you always knew where to turn. And having a way of making people feel loved and good about themselves. And even at 18 when you sang, angels joined in, just as they do now.
So, yeah, maybe you could have done some things different, but I hope that my little girl grows up to be the kind of woman you are (except for the kissing boys part -- I won't have that until she is married :))

Raysha said...

It's fun to read these things about you! The saving money thing and not getting talked into a credit card would be on my list too. And, while you wish you would have kissed more boys, I should have kissed less.........WAY less!!!

Laurie said...

Aww,thanks Kathy. What a great big sis you are. This is what I mean about "great people"! Love you!

Angie said...

I really liked this post. Isn't it amazing to think about how much we grow in 10 years, how much "wiser" we get. . . It's incredible to realize how much difference perspective makes - and so hard to believe that when you're going through today. Ah, life.

Angie said...

I tend to remember things worse then they were. My list would be sooo much longer. You make me laugh about the kissing thing:) Sometimes I'm glad I didn't kiss very many boys and sometimes I wish I would have kissed more (don't tell Adam I said that):)

Amy said...

wow, I wish I had thought of this post, it is so great! Except I don't have a scanner so there is no physical way I can put a pic of what I looked like back then. Hmmm..30 and wishing you'd kissed more boys..has Gus been slacking? j/k :P