Monday, July 4, 2011

Alabama Safari??

Hi Friends
I'm still trying to gather my thoughts for the tornado post and gathering my thoughts is posing a real challenge these days, so it'll have to wait a little longer.
For now I will share a different, slightly less dangerous, adventure we had in May.
We found this fun little place called Harmony Park Safari in Huntsville. I've always wanted to go on a safari, I never thought that would happen in Alabama.
Harmony Park is this little drive through safari. They have deer, some sort of African antelope thingys, ducks, a camel, some monkeys, big horn sheep, some funky foreign cows, a Zebra, ducks and I'm sure some other stuff that I don't remember. At the beginning you can buy a cup or a bucket of pellet food (we got a bucket, I'm so glad) and then you can feed the animals along the way. Too cool and perfect for me since it wasn't that long after I had Ezra and so I didn't have to walk. We LOVED this place! The animals were hilarious and we were cracking up at how much they loved the funny little pellet food. They reminded me of our dogs when ever they think they hear  a treat bag opening they come running! It's pretty hilarious to see a Zebra and an Ostrich act like a dog.
Here are the pics:
Disclaimer: I was the one taking the pictures and so you'll have to forgive my lack of expertise as well as my excitement to get the animals. It may have resulted in some funky pictures. :)







This guy put his nose right up to the camera. Nope, not food.




You may wonder why I have this picture posted but you have to look at the trail of deer behind us. They discovered their friends were getting food and came following. So funny!

They are starting to run now that they see we really have food!

The camel sticking his head in the window of the car ahead of us. We were warned about that. That's why they want you to keep your windows no more than half way down.


I was too afraid of him spitting at us and so we didn't really hang out with this guy too long. I hear Camel spit is disgusting.

Cute ponies out on the range.

They heard the pellets shaking in the cups.

"Another spitting animal, hurry go, go!"

Here comes the Zebra



He was a friendly chap. I think he was our favorite, he followed us almost the entire time.
And as you can see we had wild animal slobber all over our windows.


We were unaware that Tina Turner was a resident of this safari.



The pony did not appreciate the comparison.  Sorry Tina...I mean pretty little pony.



Gus loved feeding the animals straight from the cup. Here's a good shot of the Zebra eating staight from the cup.





The animals are peacfully grazing in the feild until......

they hear the glorious sound of pellets shaking in a cup!!! Here they come.

We were all distracted looking at something on the drivers side of the car when we hear Gracie scream. We turn to see this stern face polking his head through Gracie's window trying to get the food out of her cup. We immediately rolled her window up a little more and all started laughing. Gee whiz, Ostrich, lighten up a little!


We had such a fun time at this place. So be warned that if you are ever visiting us in Alabama we WILL be taking you on "safari".

4 comments:

Jen said...

That looks like a fun place!!

Jennifer said...

Wow! That is hilarious! I laughed out loud - what a fun experience! By the way, I can NOT believe that Gracie lost a tooth! Are our girls really getting that old? And your sweet Ezra is adorable! Wish I could hold him! Come back soon, Hansens!

jamie said...

i wanna come, i wanna come!

Angie said...

That is awesome! Who knew? It almost makes me want to go back to Alabama. Almost.